V1 Multi-Capsule Pencil Condenser Kit
Vanguard Audio Labs was created with one goal – to give you great affordable tools so you can make great music.
In the past, members of our design team have created studio microphones and monitors that are used by world-renowned artists, engineers, and producers (including Taylor Swift, Herbie Hancock, Robert Plant, Randy Bachman, Buddy Miller, Nathan Chapman, Ray Kennedy, Lady Antebellum and many others…)
We’re lucky to be doing what we love – designing and building great, affordable recording tools. Although Vanguard Audio Labs is a new creative venture, our core team has over a century of combined experience in the music industry. Every one of us is an engineer, musician, producer, and lover of all things audio. Early in our careers, each of us has been frustrated by the desire to own better recording tools… but the really great microphones were overwhelmingly expensive. We started Vanguard Audio Labs to help you make music, and to bring your music to life by building superb products that won’t break your bank account.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V1 Pencil Condenser Kit is a multi-capsule FET pencil condenser microphone. Lovingly crafted by experts, it is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional tool for any recording engineer, studio, producer, or artist. With a “straight-wire” circuit design, premium cryogenically-treated FET components, an unparalleled selection of capsules, and a true heavy-duty shock mount, the V1 will be your new studio workhorse.
- Vanguard V1 Microphone – packed with high-end components including an ultra-quality precision-biased JFET, a custom-wound transformer, premium capacitors, and cryogenic treatment throughout. A “straight-wire” design philosophy means there’s only four components between the capsule and the output.
- Four 22 mm Capsules – these interchangeable capsules give you unmatched flexibility – cardioid, wide cardioid, hypercardioid, and omnidirectional. Ultra-sensitive 4-micron diaphragms, an anti-comb-filtering front design, and precision-machined backplates give wide consistency across each capsule.
- VSSM Shock mount – the best pencil shock mount in the ‘verse. Heavy-duty cast zinc partners with high-impact ABS to create a shock mount that stays where it’s supposed to. Aerospace-grade suspension rings keep the rumble out (no hair scrunchies here!), and a windowed design allows you to easily access switches without changing the your mic placement.
- Pinewood Storage Case – because your microphones should stay safe in luxury. We’ve carved individual capsule pockets into a block of solid pine, and custom-cut foam for your mics to stay cozy and secure…whether they’re on the road or in your studio.
Vanguard designed the V1 with the character and versatility of iconic pencil condensers in mind, while also utilizing modern technology and design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals.
The V1 kit was created to be your most flexible and adaptable microphone system. The four small capsules allow tonal variety on any number of sources, but we found them to be exceptionally well-suited for close-to-medium-range mic’ing of acoustic guitar, percussion, piano, and stringed instruments. (The wide cardioid capsule in particular deserves special mention here as our favorite, but each capsule has sources and situations in which it excels.)
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing exhaustive design variations with world-class engineers, we can confidently say that this microphone will exceed the performance of other pencil condenser microphones in its price range, and rival or exceed the performance of microphones costing several times more.
The Vanguard V1 is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100% testing taking place here in Southern California. Vanguard spent more than three years designing, developing, and refining the V1.
The small-diaphragm capsules begin with a 16 mm 4µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragm, carefully positioned in front of a precision-machined, custom-voiced backplate. The housing is engineered to bring the diaphragm as close as possible to the front of the capsule housing, preventing comb filtering.
The capsule is coupled to a transformer-balanced solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of our capsules and is loaded with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers all over the world. Critical components in the signal & power paths are cryogenically treated, including an ultra-high-grade hand-biased FET. The circuit is designed with an “In = Out” philosophy, with only four components present in the signal path.
The precision-machined brass body is coated with Vanguard’s signature Pinot Noir hue, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Your V1’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The V1 was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of combined experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
- 4 small-diaphragm 22 mm capsule assemblies – cardioid, hypercardioid, omnidirectional, wide cardioid
- Transformer-balanced solid-state circuit
- Ultra low-noise high-quality hand-biased JFET and other premium-grade components
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- Transformer-balanced output – custom-wound humbucking dual-bobbin transformer
- Works via 48 V phantom power
- Heavy-duty brass, aircraft-grade aluminum, steel, and zinc construction
- Each V1 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec components
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- 5-Year Warranty